Calgary · Edmonton · Halifax · Moncton · Surrey · Winnipeg
For more than 20 years, Stenberg College has been a source of career-oriented education for motivated people like you who are interested in the essential fields of health care and human services. This accredited college offers a variety of short-term programs designed to help you graduate and enter the workforce quickly.
Why Stenberg College?
There are many reasons to choose this school as your stepping-stone to a rewarding career. Here are just a few of them:
- Small class sizes. Classes are kept small in order to provide an intimate learning environment and a maximum of personal attention from instructors. You can also benefit from one-on-one student support sessions.
- Industry-current learning. Each program features a continuously updated curriculum, thanks to close relationships with industry contacts.
- Real-life experience. Every program includes a practicum, allowing you to gain real-world experience that is valued by employers.
- Industry expert instructors. Experienced instructors who have both industry experience and educational qualifications make up the faculty.
- Impressive placement rates. Within 6 months of program completion, more than 92% of those who successfully graduate from Stenberg College find employment in their fields.
Continual Support for Students and Alumni
Stenberg College dedicates itself to providing a maximum of support, even outside of the classroom. A wide selection of student services is available, including financial aid. Knowledgeable advisors can educate you on the various financial sources that are available to those who qualify, including student loans, lines of credit, awards, bursaries, and scholarships.
Another vital service provided is career assistance. Every program has career search techniques built into the curriculum; however, you can also receive additional support in the form of resume and cover letter preparation, interview technique development, career search resources, career lead referrals, personal and professional development skills workshops, and more.
As a student, you will gain access to the Current Students and Career Planning areas of the college's website. Plus, you are entitled to comprehensive services for up to one year after graduation, from resume faxing to message relay for employment opportunities. Plus, Stenberg College is proud to offer lifetime career assistance to alumni.
Additional Benefits and Services
As a student, you can also take advantage of free access to a wide range of student support services, including:
- Access to the on-campus reference library, as well as an online (EBSCO) database containing hundreds of nursing and allied health journals.
- Online textbook support services, including the Evolve learning tools system.
- Access to the Learning and Study Skills Inventory (LASSI) tool, which can be used as a diagnostic tool to help optimize your education.
- The opportunity to participate in open lab time, study skills tutorials, and typing practice sessions.
- Support for English as a second language (ESL) training.
- The chance to participate in various campus life events.
If you are ready to take the next step toward a high quality education, and the exciting career opportunities that can follow, begin today by requesting more information from Stenberg College!
- Health Care Assistant
- Hospital Support Specialist
- Medical Laboratory Assistant
- Medical Office Assistant
Hybrid Classroom & Online Programs:
Nursing Unit Clerk
You can train to handle a wide range of tasks, from ensuring doctors' orders get passed on to the appropriate department to organizing, preparing, and summarizing reports. You can also learn to:
- Manage patient charts
- Process patient requests and exam orders
- Organize nursing and medication files
- Handle admissions, transfers, and discharges
You can get hands-on practice working with specialized computer software applications commonly used in the industry, including Meditech. Plus, you could have the opportunity to take part in a six-week practicum, providing you with the real-life experience valued by employers.
Once you've successfully completed the program, you could pursue entry-level positions with a starting wage of over $20 per hour.
As the first private school to receive approval to run the new Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) curriculum approved by the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of British Columbia (CLPNBC) and the Ministry of Advanced Education, this in-depth program can help you prepare to make a contribution to the province's nursing shortage.
You can learn how to work under the direction of registered nurses and doctors, providing direct patient care, from delivering medications and assisting with patient rehabilitation to changing dressings and transporting patients between departments.
With training from Stenberg College, you can prepare to take the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam, and join the 95 percent of graduates who passed the exam on their first try (a statistic that is nearly 10 percent higher than the national average).
Psychiatric Nursing - Online
Pursue a future within a fascinating area of the nursing field that doesn't require the prerequisite of first becoming a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN). This innovative program combines online learning with over 1400 hours of clinical training and practicum experience within a BC health region.
You can have the opportunity to learn from world-renowned instructors who are well respected academics, researchers, or practitioners within their field. In addition to covering a framework of related anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology, you can learn about psychiatric care, acute psychiatric nursing, counselling, and substance use/misuse.
Upon completion of the program, you will be eligible to write the national registration exam, and pursue entry-level positions (with starting wages of more than $30 per hour) within local health authorities, schools, group homes, and more.
Health Care Programs
By choosing the innovative Cardiology Technologist Diploma program, you can enjoy:
- Convenient online study that can allow you to learn in your home community.
- Field experiences that can help you develop practical abilities.
- On-campus components that can let you practice your skills in a laboratory setting (offered in Calgary, Halifax, or Winnipeg).
- A substantial clinical preceptorship that can offer hands-on work experience in an Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, or Manitoba medical facility.
Stenberg College can help you gain an education that incorporates the flexibility of online training with the support of on-campus learning. You can graduate ready to fill an important role in the medical field.
Match your enthusiasm with a career that lets you help people see with better clarity and style. By learning what's involved in providing optometry or ophthalmology clients with well-fitting eyeglasses or contact lenses, you can begin an enjoyable future in a fascinating vocation. Whether it's interpreting vision prescriptions, assisting customers in selecting the right frames and lens coatings, or taking accurate measurements before placing their orders, opticians get to participate in many fun and interesting tasks on a daily basis. And at Stenberg College, you'll have a terrific opportunity to develop all of the basic skills you need to get started as an optician in a retail or clinical environment.
Health Care Assistant
Learn how to offer support to elderly individuals, help them maintain a level of independence, and ease their pain while improving their quality of life.
Stenberg College can teach you how to assist with personal care, mobility, and medications. You can learn to observe and record patient progress, and carefully track any problems that arise. You can obtain a strong knowledge of the aging process, dementia, and other commonly occurring issues. Plus, you can benefit from almost 300 hours of clinical and practicum experience, and work toward receiving various industry certifications.
Upon graduation, you will automatically have your name added to the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry.
Hospital Support Specialist
This program will show you how to offer administrative support throughout various hospital departments, preparing you to take on virtually any hospital clerical position. Your comprehensive training will be related to medical office management, appointment scheduling, and patient admittance and registry.
Stenberg College can also give you the opportunity to participate in a six-week practicum within two different administrative areas, allowing you to obtain experience within various positions and work settings. Plus, you can train in preparation for various industry certifications, including:
- Personal & Professional Development Skills
Medical Laboratory Assistant
Medical Laboratory Assistant - Online
This program's curriculum can prepare you to work under the supervision of a Medical Laboratory Technologist. You can learn how to handle the collecting, preparing, and processing of biological samples. You can also learn to perform electrocardiograms (ECGs), as well as basic pre-analytical procedures.
Stenberg College can organize your placement in a four-week practicum, allowing you to gain vital experience. As a graduate, you can be eligible to become a member of the BCSLS, and ready to pursue entry-level positions within environments like:
- Public health laboratories
- Universities and research institutions
- Private health insurance companies
Medical Office Assistant
The condensed curriculum of this program can teach you how to carry out a wide range of administrative duties, including patient records management, medical transcription, medical billing, and insurance processing. You can gain valuable computer skills, and a background in medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, and pathology.
In addition to the opportunity to participate in a practicum, you can benefit from industry training related to a variety of certifications, including, CPR/AED/HCP.
As a graduate, you can be prepared to work in various environments, such as hospitals, surgical centres, family practices, and physiotherapy clinics. Plus, you have the option of continuing your education at a later date through the Hospital Support Specialist program.
Become an essential contributor to other people's health and well-being. With direct and thorough training from Stenberg College, you can put yourself in great position to begin a career as someone who gets to help licensed pharmacists compound and dispense prescription medications. It's a practical program intended to give you the necessary confidence and skills to work in community or hospital pharmacies. And it can even prepare you for the type of exam that, once passed, enables you to become a regulated pharmacy technician, which can boost your earning potential even more.
Human Services Programs
Community Mental Health & Addictions Worker
This in-depth program was created with direct input from a Program Advisory Committee comprised of industry agencies and partners, and is taught within a classroom at the Portland Hotel Society Station Street Housing Project. The curriculum covers a wide range of topics related to sociology, public policy, psychology, and pharmacology, including:
- Professional communications in mental health and addictions
- Occupational health/self-care
- Communities and well being
- Social inequality, health, and power
- Human development across the lifespan
- Life skills mentoring
- Psychosocial rehabilitation
- Basic pharmacology in mental health and substance abuse
Stenberg College can also give you the opportunity to gain plenty of real-life experience through integrated observational experiences and job shadowing within four different industry-related settings. Plus, you can take part in a four-week practicum that provides you with 160 hours of work experience within a community/mental health environment.
Community Support Worker
This program can prepare you to work closely with individuals who are dealing with developmental disabilities or dual diagnoses (a combination of developmental disabilities and mental illness). You can learn to provide important support and care in a broad range of areas in order to promote self-reliance, along with mental, emotional, and physical health.
To help you prepare to meet the challenges of this field, you will have the opportunity to participate in weekly field experience placements. And you can complete an intensive practicum at the end of the program to solidify your skills. Upon graduation, you could pursue opportunities within a variety of areas, including:
- Adult protective services
- Community health care
- Residential care
- Respite care
- Social services support
Therapeutic Recreation (Gerontology)
The Therapeutic Recreation (Gerontology) hybrid classroom and online program can prepare you to:
- Plan and evaluate recreational programs
- Promote healthy living and wellbeing through therapeutic activities
- Collaborate with other health care professionals
- Provide organizational leadership and administrative support
As a student, you can attend a two-day orientation to become familiar with instructors, other students, and Moodle—your online learning platform. After finishing orientation, you can complete the remainder of your coursework through interactive online learning in the comfort of your own community, which could take as little as thirty weeks to complete.
As a graduate, you could find future employment in a variety of different work environments like adult day centres, assisted living facilities, and rehab centres.
Early Childhood Educator (ECE)
Early Childhood Educator - Post Basic
The in-depth program curricula, which are taught by experienced instructors, can teach you how to handle a variety of tasks, including:
- Organizing activities that contribute to a child's physical, mental, and emotional development
- Assisting children with personal care, hygiene, health, safety, and nutrition
- Helping children develop independent thought, cultural sensitivity, and respect for others
- Properly observing and documenting behaviour in order to inform parents of potential problems and progress
Stenberg College's ECE programs have been approved by the BC Ministry of Children and Family Development's Early Childhood Educator Registry, which means you could graduate qualified to obtain licensure as an Early Childhood Educator. You could also receive important training related to Childsafe First Aid, FOODSAFE Level One, and Personal & Professional Development Skills certification.
As a graduate, you could pursue positions within preschools, nursery schools, daycare centres, and other childcare facilities. You could even be prepared to open your own daycare facility!
Special Education Assistant
Special Education Assistant - Online
This nine-month-long program is available in two different delivery methods, the first being traditional on-campus training, and the second involving an innovative hybrid learning format. The hybrid option can allow you to complete the majority of your program online through short, on-campus components that include lab sessions, workshops, and other hands-on elements.
Thanks to an in-depth curriculum, you can learn how to assist elementary and secondary teachers by performing a variety of important tasks, such as:
- Observing and recording the behaviour of students
- Setting up classrooms
- Assisting children with learning materials
- Supervising and escorting children to and from activities
The program also involves Provincial Outreach Program for Autism and Related Disorders (POPARD) training through two courses: Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorders and Introduction to Applied Behaviour Analysis.
Professional Business Accountant
Enter an enticing area of business in which you can contribute services that are vital to an organization's success. With Stenberg College's focused training, you'll get an opportunity to begin establishing yourself as a skilled accounting professional. That means your future might involve managing truly important financial matters. For example, imagine preparing payroll, maintaining account ledgers, and putting together tax returns and essential reports that track a company's bottom line. In this program, you can learn enough to sit for the industry exam that leads to attaining your PBA designation.
Stenberg College Locations:
- Surrey, BC
- Vancouver Island, BC*
- Calgary, Alberta - Hybrid Classroom & Online
- Edmonton, Alberta - Hybrid Classroom & Online
- Surrey, BC - Hybrid Classroom & Online
- Winnipeg, Manitoba - Hybrid Classroom & Online
- Moncton, New Brunswick - Hybrid Classroom & Online
- Halifax, Nova Scotia - Hybrid Classroom & Online
Stenberg College is accredited by the Private Career Training Institutions Agency of BC (PCTIA).
*Vancouver Island locations include Duncan/Cowichan, Courtenay/Campbell River, Nanaimo, and Victoria.